There must be something in the air as two main-stream television channels rebranding in quick succession. First was BBC Three with their new, somewhat ‘W1A‘ inspired, three line creation and now Channel 5 have launched their new identity this week. Channel 5’s rebrand was thirteen months in the making by New York agency Gretel.
Here are 5 little Friday facts about Channel 5:
1. Launched Easter Sunday (30 March 1997) at 6pm, it was the fifth and final national terrestrial analogue network.
2. Wolf Olins and Saatchi & Saatchi were the main agencies behind the pre-launch advertising campaign: “Give Me 5”.
3. Channel 5’s success has been down in part to show imports from the USA, such as CSI, The Mentalist and NCIS.
4. The Euro 2000 Qualifier: England v Poland drew the largest viewing figures for the channel: 5.63 million.
5. On 16 September 2002, Channel 5 re-branded to Five, in a multimillion-pound project directed by Trevor Beattie.